The Home Assistant works as a team member under the supervision/direction of the Care Manager or Registered Nurse in Charge in accordance with the Aged Care Quality Standards and TLC policies and procedures.
This role contributes to a safe, clean, home like living environment for residents and is responsible for daily servicing of resident’s bedroom including bed making and general tidying of resident’s rooms.
Qualifications / Experience Required
Home Assistant does not require any accredited training or formal qualifications
Key Skills and Competencies
• Respects the dignity, privacy and individuality of residents and keeps confidential resident information
• Ensuring a high and consistent standard of work in line with TLC policies and procedures, ensuring compliance with relevant legislation
• Well-developed communication skills
• Attention to detail
• Demonstrates a commitment to a culture of excellence
• Displays a understand service delivery focus
• Presents a positive attitude and an ongoing commitment to position responsibilities and organisational goals
• Ability to work as part of a team, as well as accept direction, responsibility and work unsupervised
Training and Compliance
• TLC Induction
• Health Services Induction
• Reporting Abuse and Serious Incidents in Aged Care
• Manual Tasks in Aged Care
• Manual Handling
• Fire and Emergency Training
• Training modules as outlined on the TLC Training Matrix
• Compliance with TLC Vaccination policy
• Current NDIS Worker Screening Check Clearance
Key Results Areas
1. Demonstrates and upholds the mission and values of TLC Healthcare
• Understands and role models the TLC Values
• Demonstrates a duty of care and mutual respect for colleagues and residents
2. Demonstrates exceptional commitment to resident environment
• Respects the individual wishes of each resident
• Contributes to a positive environment for residents and other workplace participants
• Completes duties lists consistent with requirements of the role of a Home Assistant.
3. Takes responsibility and contributes to maintaining a safe, clean, home like living environment for residents.
• Cleaning and making of resident’s beds
• Cleaning and tidying residents’ room
• Assisting with delivery and collection of resident’s meal trays and water jugs
• Assist residents with any other general household duties
• Assist in folding and sorting resident clothes in their room when required
• Adhere to Aged Care Quality Standards and relevant legislation.
• Escort residents in walking from their room around the home i.e. to beauty therapy, physio, GP appointment or general walking.
• Assist residents to access TV programs, reading materials, games or other activities.
• Assist in setting up Wi-Fi- computer software like facetime, Facebook to connect with their loved ones.
• Distributes resident newspapers, mail and other reading material.
• Looks for/Seeks qualified care worker assistance when a resident requires personal care.
• Assists residents to the TLC Café and to serve tea/coffee.
• Responds to call bells and completes non-personal care tasks.
• Reassures and talks with a resident when waiting for care staff to attend a call bell.
4. Demonstrates a commitment to Quality and Continuous Improvement
• Works in a manner that ensures TLC Aged Care meets accreditation requirements
• Identifies areas for improvement and actively works to implement improvements
• Provides feedback and discusses proposed improvements and goals with General Manager or Care Manager.
5. Takes reasonable care to protect health and safety of themselves, colleagues and others in the workplace
• Participates in training and meetings regarding safety
• Completes incident reports as required
Measures of Performance
• Reports hazards, near misses and injuries immediately
• Evidence of compliance with risk management policies and procedures
• Attendance at professional development activities, where relevant to the role
• Attendance at staff meetings
• Uses personal protective equipment
• Consistently shows respect and values each person’s dignity
• Is accountable for a high standard of work
• Strives for and achieves excellence
• Actively participates and contributes as an effective team member
• Operates in an open, honest and professional manner
• Seeks opportunities to be innovative for improvement
• Demonstrates duty of care and mutual respect for colleagues and residents
• Increased overall satisfaction for each resident
• Demonstrated attitude which is positive and supportive
• Treats each resident as an individual, by actively listening and respecting their wishes
• Encourages feedback and support from residents
• Residents articulate that they feel that they are the focus of care
• Communication is respectful at all times
• Consistently follows TLC policies and procedures
• Fosters a harmonious and caring environment of teamwork and co-operation among all TLC staff members and workplace participants
• Resources used in an appropriate manner with minimal waste